Coconut prawn and avocado salad recipe
This crunchy salad is quick and easy to prepare and includes a gluten-free option.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Serves 2 (as a light meal)
- 2 Tbsp plain flour or gluten-free plain flour
- 60g egg
- 2 Tbsp skim milk
- 30g (1/2 cup) panko breadcrumbs or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 35g (1⁄3 cup) desiccated coconut
- 400g green prawns, peeled and deveined, tails intact
- Cooking spray
- 40g (1 1/2 cups) mixed salad leaves
- 20g snow pea sprouts, trimmed
- 50g (1/2 small) avocado, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tsp sweet chilli sauce or gluten-free sweet chilli sauce
- Preheat oven to 200°C (fan-forced). Line an oven tray with baking paper. Put flour on a plate. Whisk egg and milk in a shallow bowl. Combine breadcrumbs and coconut on a plate. Dip prawns in flour, followed by egg mixture then breadcrumbs mixture. Arrange on prepared tray and refrigerate for 10 minutes to chill slightly.
- Spray prawns with cooking Bake for 10 minutes or until prawns are cooked through and light golden brown.
- Meanwhile, put salad leaves, snow pea sprouts and avocado in a large bowl and toss well to Divide between shallow serving bowls. Whisk together lime juice and sweet chilli sauce. Drizzle over salad.
- Arrange prawns on salad. Serve.
- If you prefer, you can use dried multigrain breadcrumbs or fresh sourdough breadcrumbs instead of panko crumbs, and rocket or spinach instead of mixed leaves.
Recipe courtesy of Diabetic Living magazine.